Commercials advertising laundry detergent will have you believe that when you use these products, you end up with the cleanest, freshest-smelling clothes and linens. What they won’t tell you is that they often contain chemicals with negative health effects ranting from skin and throat irritation to carcinogenicity. Laundry detergent product manufacturers are shockingly not even required to list all laundry detergent ingredients on their packaging, so it can be extremely difficult for consumers to make informed choices.
Let’s look more closely at what manufacturers are putting into laundry detergents that may be detrimental to our health:
1. Fragrance: Manufacturers combine a number of different chemicals to produce a fragrance, but they don’t have to list these chemicals because of trade protection laws. Some of these chemicals can be very toxic.
2. Cleaning agents: These chemicals are included in the product formula to help with the cleaning process. Examples include chemicals like quaternium-15 which is known to release formaldehyde, diethanolamine which is linked with skin and eye irritation, and linear alkyl benzene sulfonate which are irritating to skin and eyes and are toxic to aquatic life.
3. Stabilizers: These chemicals help stabilize the formula so that it can last longer on the store shelves.
4. Bleach: Bleach is known to irritate skin, eyes, and lungs, and when it mixes with wastewater, it can form toxic organic compounds that have been linked with respiratory issues, liver and kidney damage.
5. Brighteners: These are found in detergents advertising their “brightening” powers. What is actually making these “brightening” abilities possible? A host of chemicals that remain on your clothing to absorb UV light and help clothing appear brighter. Since they remain on clothing, they are likely to come into contact with skin often.
What’s the Alternative?
Luckily, as we are becoming more and more aware of the harsh compounds that are being added to our laundry detergents, affordable alternative options are emerging. Using LaundryPure by Green Armour Technologies of WNY, you can safe money, protect your family and protect the environment by removing the need for hot water and detergent. LaundryPure installs on all brands and models, upgrading their effectiveness. Instead of detergent, your clothing will be cleaned by oxygen, peroxides and other gases that bubble into clothing to lift dirt and odors.